Sunday, November 25, 2007

Belongs to the Dog

Japanese are perceptive. Super perceptive, in fact. For example, they can tell you if you've lost or gained a kilo even before you know it yourself. Not to mention tell you exactly what you wore on a certain date, how your hairstyle has changed over the past ten years, if you happen to have some rice stuck on your shirt, how many grains. I'm trying to learn this technique. I don't think I'm succeeding very well.

I had a traumatic experience once with laundry. We lived in a different house then. I was young and wild and I hung out my jeans with the holes in the knees to dry. An hour or so later several old women came to my door to explain that it was embarrassing and I should take them down right away. We've moved and ironically enough I miss those noisey old grannies. But they certainly left an impression on me.

Let me introduce you to the culprit in this story:


Today was doggy blanket laundry day. I usually wash them and dry them on this side of the fence so people can't see the damage he's done to his most beloved Blankies. You see Cha likes to gather them into a big lump so he can straddle them, suck on a carefully picked out piece while whining and massaging. He misses his mommy. What happens is that he sometimes ends up tearing a chunk out of the blanket. He enthusiastically misses his mommy.



" Ma ma~!"

So I put a the load in and then went to the store. By the time I returned home M had hung the blankies outside. However, he hung them upstairs over the veranda where anyone passing by could see them. I couldn't complain, right? Because he DID try and help. But they are really in bad shape.

I thanked him very much before I slipped into the other room and made a sign that I clothespinned to one of the holes. Here is a picture taken from above. It basically explains that these blankets are used by the dog. You know just in case the doorbell rings later today and I answer it to find out the neighbors have taken up a collection to buy us poor folk new blankies.



11 comments:

Bk30 said...

lol, but Kappa, with a face like that you can't stay mad can you?
as long as the neighbors don't think the sign was just an excuse, like "The dog "ate" my homework" you should be fine.

Hilary said...

Awww that little cutie is just making a blanket statement. ;)

Kappa no He said...

Bk: OMG! I never thought of that. It is very possible that is what people thought. Damn.

Hilary: He also makes slipper statements, pillow statements, eraser statements and used tissuse statements. (^o^)

Jamie Mason said...

That's wonderful. Lol! Such a different place -- anyone commenting on someone else's laundry here would be considered terribly rude and nosy.

I love differences in culture like this, although it's probably a bit tricky when you have to negotiate them, rather than just chuckle to yourself about it.

Kappa no He said...

Jamie: Oh, believe me they were considered terribly rude and nosy. But I've since gotten over it, ha ha.

I think the trick is being able to identify the differences and understand why it is that way. What really sucks is when you understand something and still think it wrong or don't want to do it for some reason.

Oh, I should post about my meltdown the other day...over just such a thing...

Kappa no He said...

Jamie: Oh, believe me they were considered terribly rude and nosy. But I've since gotten over it, ha ha.

I think the trick is being able to identify the differences and understand why it is that way. What really sucks is when you understand something and still think it wrong or don't want to do it for some reason.

Oh, I should post about my meltdown the other day...over just such a thing...

Virginia Lee said...

Hee!

Okay, Miss Mama and I had to step away from the computer while we recovered from this post, hon.

Living among grannies can be very educational, huh?

XOXO

poetinahat said...

That's hilarious! Your dog is teh handsome (hey, there's that web cred!), and the blanket photo is fabulous. I chuckle, I do -- and I want another dog.

But I'll keep the blankets to myself.

*chuckle* 'blanket statement'...

Isn't it nice to know your neighbours care?

Splendid to see you again, if only by page!

Kappa no He said...

Virginia: Grannies are my favorite! They tie with little old men.

Poet!:Those were once very NICE blankets. My mother-in-law gave them to us years ago. I don't think she's figured it out exactly. Or if she has she isn't letting on...

Jim Melvin said...

I can't explain why, exactly. But this has to be one of the most entertaining blog items I have ever read anywhere.

Matt said...

I think it's about time your beagle got his own blog. Or at least a Myspace.